David Bartos advocate, Edinburgh, Scotland

FAQ Category - Advocate Services - For Non-Lawyers

Back to FAQ categories
What is an advocate ?

An advocate is a type of lawyer working in Scotland. Scottish lawyers are divided into –

solicitors, also known as “agents” (about 9 500 in practice)
advocates, also known as “Counsel” or “members of Faculty” (about 460 in practice)
Senior advocates are known as “Queen’s Counsel”, “Silks”, “Seniors” or “QCs”. In general an advocate must have at least 13 years of practice behind him or her before they can apply for that status.

All advocates must be members of their professional body “The Faculty of Advocates”.

They are all self-employed sole lawyers and, in order to provide maximum independence, objectivity and freedom from conflict of interest, are not allowed to join together in firms or companies.

top of page
What is the role of an advocate ?

Advocates are used for –

    * their specialist opinions on any legal question whether or not a dispute has actually arisen
    * advice on the strength and weaknesses of cases
    * their specialist writing and oral skills in putting a client’s case to a court or other adjudicating body both by written and oral pleading.

The nature of advocates' work means that they develop current knowledge and courtroom instinct in their fields so that their advice is particularly reliable.

All advocates have rights to appear before any court or tribunal in Scotland where a person is entitled to be represented and also before the House of Lords, the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, the Court of Justice of the E.C. (E.U.) and the European Court of Human Rights.

top of page
Can I instruct you ?

You can if you have direct access rights. To find out click here.

If you have direct access rights you can instruct me to give an opinion, advice revise documents or to appear before any tribunal, inquiry or other adjudicating body which is not a court. In order to instruct me to appear in court or to draft documents for lodging in court, will you need to ask a Scottish solicitor to instruct me.

Having said that I can do much work on direct instruction which can in turn assist you to prepare in the most efficient way for any possible court proceedings.

If you don’t have direct access rights, you will need to get a solicitor or someone with those rights to instruct me.

top of page
How do I go about instructing you ?

There is no mystery. First of all it may be helpful if you telephone me 0131 226 5071 or send me an e-mail to give a general outline of the situation. 

You should send a letter, fax or e-mail of instruction to my practice manager Emma Potter setting out –

  • the facts of the case or legal matter (bearing in mind that I know nothing about it);
  • what the client (or you) are seeking to achieve;
  • what you wish me to do (including any specific questions you wish me to answer);
  • any time limit for the job;
  • if the fee is not to be paid immediately within 21 days of  issue of an invoice, details the occasion on which the fee is to be paid

You should also enclose (preferably copies of) all relevant documents (e.g. –

  • correspondence,
  • expert reports,
  • statements from potential witnesses
  • written pleadings,
  • court productions,
  • lists of witnesses and documents

arranged under these headings and in chronological order. A lever arch file is a great help in organizing documents. All of this saves time and money and lessens confusion.

By instructing me you agree to the Standard Terms of Instruction.

If I can’t do the work within a reasonable time or I am not available on the relevant date, my practice manager or clerk will contact you to explain the difficulty and suggest alternative solutions.

top of page
Can I meet you to explain the case and receive advice ?

Yes, this is done at a meeting known as a “consultation”. As an advocate I can and do consult throughout Scotland and at the Advocates’ consultation rooms at 142 High Street, Edinburgh. I can consult in England and abroad. I have consulted with video and audio conferencing facilities.

In a land dispute it can be particularly useful to consult at the site of the dispute.

It is important that some form of agenda for the consultation is fixed beforehand so that I can prepare for it properly. The client or an expert witness may be present at the consultation.

The consultation is booked by phoning Terra Firma Chambers

top of page
What are the benefits of a consultation ?

There are many. The main benefits are –

  • you, and/or the client and I can meet each other
  • the client can ask me questions direct
  • I can obtain often important information from the client direct which might not otherwise emerge
  • the client’s evidence can be clarified and misunderstandings avoided
  • if the consultation is with an expert witness I can obtain information and clarification from the expert which might otherwise be difficult to obtain through letters and assess him
  • if the client is present with an expert witness he can assess the expert witness
  • if the consultation is a site inspection, I can picture the dispute more readily and potential lines of investigation revealed or discarded

top of page
How much will it cost ?

Advocates often charge lower fees than solicitors for equivalent time. They do not have to pay for an office or for employees. They work for themselves with no need to employ associates or assistants and, as specialists in their field, they often need to do less research to get the right answer.

What I will charge depends on the nature and complexity of the work and the time taken up by it. The idea is that the fee will be reasonable taking those factors into account. Where the work is the preparation for and appearance at a hearing it is normal to charge a daily rate for the hearing which includes all preparation. Fixed fees can be negotiated in advance of the work, whether at an hourly rate or at a lump sum.

Please contact my practice manager for a better idea of the cost of proposed work.

top of page
What is the position regarding payment of fees ?

You as an individual, and the company, or other body on behalf of which you instruct me, have a joint and several professional obligation to pay my fees within 21 days of the issue of my invoice from Faculty Services Ltd, unless otherwise agreed. See the Standard Terms of Instruction.

top of page
If I am unhappy with the service how do I complain ?

First of all let me know. It may be something that has arisen through misunderstanding and can be dealt with easily. If the matter is complex I may ask you to put the complaint in writing. If you remain dissatisfied, the Faculty of Advocates, my professional body, has a formal complaints procedure.

top of page
If I am unhappy with the level of fees charged what do I do ?

You should let my practice manager know in writing as soon as possible and in any event within one calendar month of the issue of the invoice. Further details are contained in the Standard Terms of Instruction.

top of page